[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: DRUCKER SAYS "UNIVERSITIES WON'T SURVIVE"

I don't think it's just the U. of V, that skims money off the top of
grants to parcel out -- I think it's SOP for most universities. I
attended one of those informal classes downstairs in IRSS in
grant-writing and apparently you have to write into your budget 25
percent for the university -- because that's what they require to
administer it. It seems like lots of money taken out. But I can also see
the flip side. I happen to know of one college dean somewhere in Texas
who has taken a $50,000+ grant to use to bring in a public relations
consultant to improve the university's image. So maybe using the
university to administer funds is a good way to ensure that money is used
for what it was originally intended by the funding source?
Maggie

On Fri, 28 Feb 1997, Paul Jones wrote:

> On Fri, 28 Feb 1997, Chris Brannon wrote:
> >
> > Are you arguing that future campuses will consist entirely of privately
> > medical and business schools, because the other buildings will have rotted
> > away?  :-)
> Actually two Schools at teh Universiry of Virginia have made serious
> noise (and fund-raising) over the fact the the state (of Va) is too
> restrictive in various areas (salary, hiring, supplies, bids, etc) and
> that they might forego state funding for their independence. they both
> have great buildings with the names of big law firms and big businesses on
> every room.
> One part of their complaint that was hidden is that the University takes a
> certain ammount of overhead from each grant and from some gifts to use on
> underserved departments--such as English and History. The richer Schools
> wan to keep their own monies..

>                              Paul Jones
> Certified Black Helicopter Pilot *** Unwitting Dupe of One World Gov'ment
> http://sunsite.unc.edu/pjones/     The Unix Web Server Book (Ventana 1997)
>   pjones@sunsite.unc.edu   voice: (919) 962-7600     fax: (919) 962-8071

Follow-Ups: References: