[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

structure, hydrophobicity, and textbooks (fwd)

Sender: Morgan J Ryan -- Neil Patterson Publishers <morgan@rock.concert.net>
Subject: WSN: structure, hydrophobicity, and textbooks

Esteemed scientists,
	I'm editing a new biology textbook. All biology books begin with
some antique commentary about the admirable qualities of water, including
heat capacity and heat of fusion. Then some muzziness about the
hydrophobic effect.
	I'm casting around for the latest thinking about water. Every now
and then I see a paper proposing some new and elaborate structure for
liquid water. And I've seen some recondite (though no doubt important)
commentary on the true nature of the hydrophobic effect. Recently I saw a
paper in Science about a long-range hydrophobic force. Yikes. (Science,
262:547-550, 22 Oct 93.)
	What I'm seeking is the latest consensus on what water is like.
I've seen Chapter 1 of the new Water and Biological Macromolecules,
"Water Structure," by H.F.J. Savage. The rest of the book doesn't seem to
be hitting any of my neighboring libraries (Duke, UNC, NC State--weather
isn't the only luxury around here).
	Our audience for the textbook is introductory biology students,
mostly freshman, many without chemistry. The chemical knowledge of the
readers is a pretty tough constraint on what we can put across. But I read
the water section in other biology books--and I'm bored. I'm trying to
conjure up a little bedazzlement. Which is to say, I'm considering a brew
of equal parts biophysics of water and outright hucksterism to get some
18-year-olds thinking about H-bonds, diffusion, hydrophobic effect,
thermodynamic directions of processes. Biology books traditionally talk
about the adaptive value of ice. I believe we'll be the first to talk
about *snow* as an environment. Which shows how unconsidered the intro bio
commentary on water has become (the pathologies that afflict textbooks is
a subject of enormous importance to me--ask if you're interested.) Since
I'm going to be tampering with material that is canonical in intro books,
I need to get on really sound ground.
	Anyway, what I'm asking for is any especially interesting recent
references on the structure of water, dynamics of water, and role of
water in biology. If there is a deep and authoritative review of the
hydrophobic effect, I'd appreciate a pointer. Any captivating _anecdotes_
about water to revive the student who faints at the mention of "solvent
exclusion" would be greatly appreciated. Pointers to eye-popping
molecular graphics are especially welcome.
	Useful advice will be inadequately rewarded with a published
acknowledgment. Thanks.

Morgan Ryan
Senior Editor
Neil Patterson Publishers