[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Possible Water/Silica Complexes (fwd)

Sender: dbiddle@waite.adelaide.edu.au (Dean Biddle)
Subject: WSN: Possible Water/Silica Complexes

     Is anyone aware of any theoretical or analytical work on
the existence and structure of water/silica complexes at low
temperatures?  I have access to standard material on the
structure of water at different temperatures, such as:

     There are three chief structural arrangements of water
labelled Water I, II and III (Bernal and Fowler, 1933).  At
temperatures below 4 xC, water I is a tridymite or ice-like
structure comprised of a very stable 4 fold complexation.
Water II is a quartz-like structure which is present at
ordinary temperatures.  Water III is a closely packed,
ammonia-like liquid present above 200 xC.

Bernal, J.D., and Fowler, R.H., (1933). J. Phys. Chem, 1, 515.

Below 4 xC, water is present partly as a 4 fold co-ordinated
complex.  The charge on Si is 4+ or after H's are removed from
H4SiO4, a radical with a 4- charge may exist.  A Si(H2O)4
complex, more stable than other forms of Si in solution may
form below 4 xC.  Any comments?