[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

ionic strength (fwd)

Sender: "David G. Rhodes" <rhodes@model.phr.utexas.edu>
Subject: WSN: ionic strength

The following is a question based on one that I recently posted to
biophysics@net.bio.net.  If you find the question naieve, please
consider replying anyhow.  The disparity of responses suggests that
the question is not as trivial as I had once feared.

I'm looking at a system in which the interaction between two charged species is
affected by ionic strength, at least as judged by increasing the concentration
of a uni/univalent electrolyte (NaCl) in the buffer.  I wish to evaluate the
possibility that an effect observed upon switching from a (sometimes) cationic
buffer to a (sometimes) zwitterionic buffer is due to difference in the ionic
strength.  Therefore, I wish to calculate (even roughly) the ionic strength of
the two systems.

--
| David G. Rhodes                   | O==O | RHODES@MODEL.PHR.UTEXAS.EDU |