Re: EKAQEUDEN: Is Perseus wrong?

Jonathan Robie (jwrobie@mindspring.com)
Sat, 11 Jan 1997 20:44:07 -0500

At 05:31 PM 1/11/97 -0600, Carl W. Conrad wrote:

Thanks for the clarifications on hREGKW and EKAQEUDEN. The other posts were
also helpful, but I think I understand much better now.

>Yes, I suspect that, and in fact, I know that BAGD is inadequate for
>reading LXX unless the LXX word recurs in the NT. I remember hunting for
>some words in the Genesis Joseph narrative in BAGD and not finding them
>there or in LSJ--I ultimately found them in the Sophocles Byzantine
>lexicon. hREGKW is not that uncommon (at least not any more than people
>snoring at night!).

Sigh.

Do you Greek scholars get kickbacks from the publishers every time we little
Greeks go out and buy another book? I thought this would be a cheaper hobby
than it has been!

OK, since I really *do* intend to read more in the Septuagint, I'm going to
need something to help me. Would I be better off getting a specialized
Septuagint lexicon, or does LSJ have everything I need? I'll probably read
at least some classical Greek, too, as my Greek improves.

If LSJ would do the job, would the old version be adequate?

And is anybody out there willing to sell their old LSJ cheap after upgrading
to the latest release?

Thanks!

Jonathan

Jonathan Robie