Re: present truth

Gabriel GOLEA (golea@monza.u-strasbg.fr)
Fri, 31 Jan 1997 10:04:45 -0100

Dear John,

You wrote recently:

>The expression "present truth" is found once in the KJV in 2 Pet 1:12 and I
have heard all kinds of unusual interpretations of the passage, especially
in the sense of a truth which is specifically for our 20 century. But the
>Greek doesn't seem to say anything like that. The Greek reads: EN THi
>PAROUSHi ALHQEIAi, in the truth which is present with you. The NRSV for
>example, reads, "in the truth that has come to you;" a modern German
>translation has, "in the truth that is with you (among you)"; and a modern
>French, has it even clearer (of course!), "in the truth which you have
>received." etc

I didn't check out all the French modern French translations, but in a
credible one (and modern), i. e. _Oecumenical Tanslation of the Bible_, you
can read: "et que vous demeuriez fermes dans la verite presente", i. e., "in
the present truth".

Hope this helps,

| |
| Gabriel GOLEA, PhD Student 4, rue Schumann |
| Faculte de Theologie Protestante 67000 - STRASBOURG |
| golea@monza.u-strasbg.fr Tel. 03.88.61.95.64. |
| |
| " The world rests on three things: |
| on righteousness, |