Re: predicate adjectives

Jonathan Robie (jwrobie@mindspring.com)
Tue, 04 Feb 1997 14:15:50 -0500

At 12:29 PM 2/4/97 -0600, Carl W. Conrad wrote:

>I am inclined to think that QEOPNEUSTOS is intended to be attribute to
>GRAFH, but I'm very much inclined to agree with Edgar on this one--that KAI
>WFELIMOS (ESTIN) KTL. really constitute the predicate.

That makes a lot of sense to me. I think you are saying you like this one:

>>PASA GRAFH QEOPNEUSTOS KAI WFELIMOS [ESTIN] PROS DIDASKALIAN PROS ELEGMON,
>>PROS EPANORQWSIN - "Every inspired scripture is beneficial for..."
>
>If we read it this way we have to understand the KAI as adverbial: " ... is
>also beneficial ..."

Unless Paul is saying that all writings are inspired by God, GRAFH should be
restricted to GRAFH QEOPNEUSTOS. The adverbial KAI is nice in conjunction
with verse 15:

2Tim 3:15 (GNT) KAI hOTI APO BREFOUS TA IERA GRAMMATA OIDAS, TA DUNAMENA SE
SOFISAI EIS SWTHRIAN DIA PISTEWS THS EN CRISTW IHSOU.

In the phrase TA IERA GRAMMATA, IERA can also refer to things pertaining to
the temple, i.e. the writings found in the temple.

If you look at verses 13-17, the context seems to imply that (1) Timothy has
known these writings from childhood, so recent writings aren't intended, and
(2) in the phrase TA IERA GRAMMATA, IERA can also refer to things pertaining
to the temple, i.e. the writings found in the temple, so the Old Testament
writings seem most likely.

As I read it, it does not say that Jesus is referred to in these writings,
but that it is faith in Jesus Christ which makes it possible for these
writings to instruct us for salvation. Or does TA DUNAMENA SE SOFISAI EIS
SWTHRIAN DIA PISTEWS THS EN CRISTW IHSOU mean that the scriptures are
capable of instructing him for the purpose of salvation through faith in
Christ Jesus? Does the grammar give me a reason to choose one over the other?

With respect to these writings, Paul says that Timothy has known these
writings from childhood, the ones that are able to instruct him in salvation
through Christ Jesus, but these writings are beneficial not only for his own
salvation, but also (KAI) to teach others, reprove them, correct them, and
train them in righteousness so that they may become proficient, equipped for
every good work.

So despite everything, I'm starting to find an interpretation that I prefer ;->

Jonathan

Jonathan Robie
Ph: 919.598.5728 Fax: 919.598.6728
email: jwrobie@mindspring.com, jonathan@poet.com