Re: predicate adjectives

Jonathan Robie (jwrobie@mindspring.com)
Wed, 05 Feb 1997 08:54:10 -0500

Andrew Kulikovsky wrote:

> But if Paul meant to say "All scripture (that is) divinely-inspired
> (is) also useful for instruction etc." implying that not every
> scripture is inspired then why didn't he tell Timothy which
> ones are inspired and which aren't?

I believe that GRAFH can refer to any kind of writing, not just scripture,
can't it? I have been reading GRAFH QEOPNEUSTOS as "inspired writing", i.e.
scripture. I see this as parallel to TA IERA GRAMMATA in verse 15, so I see
this as meaning "All divinely-inspired writing [referring to the OT
scriptures - IERA GRAMMATA] is also useful for instruction etc."

IERA implies a connection to the temple - the writings found in the temple.
So there is a perfectly consistent interpretation for the early date approach.

Jonathan

Jonathan Robie
Ph: 919.598.5728 Fax: 919.598.6728
email: jwrobie@mindspring.com, jonathan@poet.com