Re: predicate adjectives

Mark B. O'Brien (obrienmb@juno.com)
Fri, 07 Feb 1997 00:26:56 EST

On Thu, 06 Feb 1997 08:55:43 -0800 "Dale M. Wheeler"
<dalemw@teleport.com> writes:
>BTW, doesn't Wallace have a lengthy discussion about 2Tim 3:16 in his
>Grammar; mine is not at hand, but that was the topic of his Master's
>Thesis
>and I thought it was covered in the Grammar under the discussion of
>the
>article and probably the G-S construction...

Interesting that you should mention this, because I remembered him
writing about this somewhere else (I thought). Anyway, Wallace has the
following comment in his Grammar (p. 253, n. 99):

"The issue of the translation of PAS + noun as 'every [noun]' or 'all/the
whole [noun]' will not be taken up here in any detail. Suffice it to say
that 'all/the whole [noun]' is exampled in biblical literature for the
anarthrous construction (cf., eg., 1 Chron 28:8; Amos 3:1; Matt 3:15;
Acts 1:21), thus permitting such a translation in Eph 2:21; 3:15; and 2
Tim 3:16. Cf. Moule *Idiom Book*, 94-95."

Regards,

Mark.

PS: What I really want to know is whether *exampled* is really an
English word?! ;-)
-----
Rev. Mark B. O'Brien
Dallas Theological Seminary
Dallas Christian College, Adj. Prof.
"I have always thought that the acquisition of language and culture gave
a person completely new aspects of personality." -- Head of Humanities
and Art, Worcester Polytechnic Institute