Re: accents - Orthographic Reformation

Stephen C. Carlson (scarlson@washdc.mindspring.com)
Wed, 12 Feb 1997 22:32:28 -0500

At 01:58 2/13/97 -0200, Isidoros wrote:
>>If there was quite a bit variation in the accent among the Greek
>>dialects, then that variation would have placed considerable
>>pressure on the Koine to level the accents.
>
>Not necessarily, Stephen, if by "accents" you mean the accentuation
>marks. Take, for example, our... list. One here is the (Greek !!) dialect,
>and yet do not you feel already the mounting anticipation and the
>counter-reformational pressure?!

For the record, I did not mean the accentuation marks. I was expressing
an opinion that the pitch accent was on its way out in Hellenistic Greek,
if it still existed then.

Stephen Carlson

--
Stephen C. Carlson                   : Poetry speaks of aspirations,
scarlson@mindspring.com              : and songs chant the words.