Re: AGAPW, FILW: etymologies - Was: What language(s) did Je

Walt McFall (ana@net1.nw.com.au)
Thu, 13 Feb 1997 14:26:20 +0000

Isidoros wrote:
> >Regarding your second example: I'd say, better read 2 Tim 4:10 again.
> > DHMAS GAR ME EGKATELIPEN AGAPHSAS TON NYN AIVNA,
> > KAI EPOREU8H EIS 8ESSALONIKHN
> > (Tip-tip: Paul does not speak "straight" in this passage. <snip>
> > Do you read it?!
>
> No... but you're certainly free to do so. I think that Paul is
> merely saying "Demas forsook me, having loved the present world".
> But again... you're free to impose your own interpretation onto the
> meaning of the passage if you wish. : - ]

I think that in my previous post... it may appear that I have
completely rejected everything that Isidoros wrote. This is
*definately* not the case. Okay... I admit that I _was_ being a bit
cheeky. It comes from living in Australia mates. ; - ]

Unfortunately it doesn't always "translate" well. : - ]

Still... Paul said that "Demas *loved* (AGAPHSAS)..." and whether
that's a straight forward admission or a play on words, the fact is that the
word "love" is used *outside* of an AGAPH = "God's Love" framework.
This was _my_ point.

However...
I can also see Isidoros's point about reading "upside down"
because of the contrast between AGAPHSAS... TON NYN... AIWNA.
However, I would quickly add that the contrast is because AGAPHSAS is
*love* and imho I think that if Paul had used FILEW he would have
made the _same_ point (and still have included the irony, etc, etc...
that Isidoros mentioned).

I should also add that I definately agree with Ron Ross... these words are
*not* exact synonymns. Perhaps someone (Isidoros maybe?) would like
to provide some additional insights into the nature of the differences between
AGAPAW and FILEW.

My point was that many Christians today believe that AGAPH always (and
only) means "God's Love"... but it doesn't and this was what I was
addressing.

Semper Fi,

Walt McFall
ana@net1.nw.com.au
CHESTY PULLER, USMC
(When surrounded by Eight
Divisions of enemy forces...)

"All right men...
they're on our left, they're on our right,
they're in front of us, they're behind us...
THEY CAN'T GET AWAY THIS TIME!!!"