Re: James 2.14-26

nikeo@juno.com
Tue, 18 Feb 1997 13:49:39 PST

On Mon, 17 Feb 1997 12:44:12 +0400 caregrp@ballistic.com (Bill and Ginger
Dickson) writes:
>Mike,
>
>One fine Greek scholar who has worked on James 2.14-26 with the
>greatest of
>care is Zane Clark Hodges. You might know that he is one of several
>champions of the "majority text" which at point differs for the
>standard
>received critical text. This difference is not irrelevant to his
>conclusions. But I commend his work to you as well worthy of your
>consideration.

Thank you for your input. I have read his already, and have another work
by him. I felt he came to the table with far too many of his
presuppositions to carefully disect the passage. To be sure, we all
have presuppositions, but he seemed to let his eisegete a bit much. His
interpretation in James 2:14 that the article preceding pistis in the
second clause is not anaphoric was interesting, but I didn't find his
justification of his use valid. I also didn't see his interpretation of
2:26 to be helpful as far as exegesis is concerned. I don't see James
attatching as much theological significance to the passage as he and
others have.

However, I would like to be able to writie him, if possible, and get his
explanations straight from him. Do you have and address (email, if
possible)?

Thanks,

Mike Porter