Re: Mark 9:2

Ronald Wong (dogtoy@isgroup.net)
Wed, 19 Feb 1997 00:57:59 -0500

Rick Strelan wrote:

> I'd appreciate any comments on the use of ANAFEREIN in Mk 9:2. It normally
> has sacrificial connotations. Mountains, sacrifices, priestly access to the
> sanctuary (= heaven) - there seems to be possible connections.
>
> Thanks in advance
>
> Rick Strelan
> Brisbane
Rick...
As much as the sacrificial connotations may abound. . . the rest of the
passage cannot bear out this to be the meaning of ANAFEREIN....since in
v.14 they actually return back down from the mountain.

Louw & Nida offer an alternative
15:176-- of to bring up, or lead up.

I don't think that this "transfiguration" experience would be considered
a sacrifice in any sense that can be drawn from the passage. You have
the trappings...but then you don't have the answer to what was
sacrificed...

**sorry if this is too elementary.**