Re: Mark 11:22 God's faith or faith in God?

Lee R. Martin (lmartin@voyageronline.net)
Fri, 21 Feb 1997 10:34:40 -0800

Micheal Palmer wrote:

> At 6:14 PM -0800 2/20/97, Lee R. Martin wrote:
>
> >Dear Michael,
> >Two items:
> >1- How then, would you explain James 2:1 "Do not have the faith of
> >Christ with partiality"?
>
> James 2:1 My brothers [& sisters], do you, with your acts of
> favoritism, really have [exhibit?] the faith that our Lord Jesus Christ
> had? [Implied answer: No]

You are translating James 2:1 as a question? Then how do you know that
Mark 11:22 is an imperative? The imperative of exw is very rare (I
found only four, including James 2:1). This rarity of imperatives leads
to even more ambiguity in Mark 11:22.

It is interesting that the parallel passage in Matt. 21:21 uses the
phrase "if you have faith . . ." If Matthew copied from Mark, then he
changed Mark's wording here. I do not know what all this means, just an
observation that may be worth investigating.

--
Lee R. Martin
Part-Time Instructor in Hebrew and Biblical Studies