Re: 1 Cor 5:5--hINA clause

Nichael Cramer (nichael@sover.net)
Fri, 21 Feb 1997 15:08:25 -0500 (EST)

T & J Peterson wrote:
> . . . PARADOUNAI TON TOIOUTON TWi SATANAi EIS OLEQRON THS SARKOS,
> hINA TO PNEUMA SWQHi EN THi hHMERAi TOU KURIOU. (1 Cor 5:5)
> The handing over to Satan has enough of its own problems, and I would
> appreciate comment on that aspect, but my real concern is with the hINA
> clause. Does it necessarily identify the salvation of the spirit as
> contingent upon the act of handing over? Or, to put it another way,
> does the action of the assembly in disciplining the sinner directly
> affect his salvation? Also, how does the hINA clause relate to the EIS
> phrase that precedes it?

A brief footnote:

The introductory section to Chapt 8 ("Prepositions") of Mounce's _Basic
of Biblical Greek_ contains a brief, but very informative discussion of
exactly this topic.

(For those unfamilar with Mounce's book, he begins each chapter with a
page-long "Exegetical Insight" to illustrate and motivate the material to
be covered in that chapter. The section mentioned above is written by
Craig L. Blomberg.)

Nichael Cramer
work: ncramer@bbn.com
home: nichael@sover.net