Re: John 15:4 MEINATE EN EMOI?

Wes.Williams@twcable.com
Fri, 28 Feb 97 09:55:13 MST

Carl Conrad wrote:
>I'd agree that one ought not to see this EN EMOI as a comitative dative
>but rather as an extension of the locative dative to personal use, and I
>think Jonathan is quite right in understanding this as referring to
>mystical communion of believers with Christ.
>It's worth looking at what Raymond Brown has to say on MENW (and other
>verbs too, for that matter) in the appendix to the second volume of his
>Anchor commentary on John's gospel.

> I think its worth noting, moreover, that the Johannine usage in chapter
>15 and in the" Farewell Discourses" generally, is also like Paul's EN
>CRISTWi in emphasizing the CORPORATE nature of the bond between believers
>and Christ--not a personal bond; when Paul uses the term in letters, he
>seems normally to be speaking of the corporate relationship that he shares
>with other believers.

Carl,

Thank you for the reference to Raymond Brown. I have his volumes at home
and will research what he wrote in his first volume. I am aware of what you
call the 'corporate' unity in the "Farewell Discourses," which does make me
think of a dative of Unity even in non-corporate contexts, although as I
see, this is debated.

So as to be well-informed of both sides of this question, what scholarly
references can someone recommend where the EN + a person is something other
than a mystical EN?

Sincerely,
Wes