Re: 1 John and epistolary aorists

Mark Goodacre (GOODACMS@m4-arts.bham.ac.uk)
Mon, 28 Apr 1997 16:04:58 GMT

> Date: Mon, 28 Apr 1997 09:06:01 -0400
> To: "Carl W. Conrad" <cwconrad@artsci.wustl.edu>
> From: Jonathan Robie <jwrobie@mindspring.com>
> Subject: Re: 1 John and epistolary aorists
> Cc: APBrownII@aol.com, b-greek@virginia.edu

> Let me try an easier question: does anybody know of another instance
> where GRAFW is interspersed with EGRAPSA in an epistolary sense?
> (Other verbs will also do; I'm just picking on EGRAPSA because it is
> the most common verb used in an epistolary sense.) Especially in a
> place where it isn't just inconsistent style, but seems to be used
> intentionally?
>
> Jonathan

> ****** Jonathan Robie jwrobie@mindspring.com
> http://www.mindspring.com/~jwrobie POET Software, 3207 Gibson Road,
> Durham, N.C., 27703 http://www.poet.com
> ******

As I mentioned last week, 1 Cor. 5.9 -13 is fascinating in this
regard - Paul either wrote or writes in v. 9 (EGRAPSA) and NUN DE
EGRAPSA in v. 11. Both could be epistolary aorists (as I would
think), or perhaps only the latter, hence 'I wrote . . . but now I
write'. An interesting one.

Apologies if this is not to the point. I have not really been
following the discussion about 1 John.

Mark G.
the latter

Dr Mark Goodacre