Re: Gospel of Mark and EUQUS

At 05:50  6/7/97 -0500, Eric Weiss wrote:
>Are there any Marcan scholars/students out there who can
>support/clarify/critique/comment on this suggestion of Mark using EUQUS
>for Greek IDOU and Hebrew HiNNeH? My speculation is NOT based on lengthy
>study, and I'm only a "little Greek."

I don't know how to coordinate Mark's EUQUS with a Hebrew word, because
it is unlikely that Mark was translated directly from a Hebrew document
or that the author was very conversant in Hebrew.

As for Gk. IDOU, I think that Matthew's parallels can be of help.
There are about 60 instances of the word IDOU in Mt, usually as KAI
IDOU, and only two correspond to a EUQUS in Mark, at 15:22 and 26:47.
Thus, if Matthew used Mark, then he obviously did not feel that IDOU
is a replacement for EUQUS.  On the other hand, if Mark used Matthew
(so Griesbach, Augustine), Mark did not feel that EUQUS is a replacement
for IDOU.

In my reading of these words, they seem to be used in different
situations.  Mt tends to use IDOU to introduce a person or an event.
Mk tends to use EUQUS to connect actions.

Stephen Carlson
--
Stephen C. Carlson                   : Poetry speaks of aspirations,
scarlson@mindspring.com              : and songs chant the words.