Re: Use of Comparative in 3John 4

For those of you interested in rhetoric, did you note the two examples of
litotes in what Carl wrote? "a not uncommon colloquialism" and "not an
exception."

If, by the way, you want a good resource to identify rhetorical terms look
at Richard A. Lanham. _A Handlist of Rhetorical Terms_. 2nd ed. Berkeley,
Los Angeles, Oxford: University of California Press, 1991. I also have this
on my hard drive, since he published the list on computer diskettes for
MACs.

>Shakespeare has, among other double comparatives, "This was the most
>unkindest cut of all." While held in contempt by prescriptive grammarians,
>I think it is a not uncommon colloquialism in several languages; Greek is
>not an exception--and I think there are others in the NT, pehaps also in
>the LXX.
>
>(I'm curious to see if this comes back to me; I'm reading from burst
>digests, having gotten no mail from BG for the last two days. I suspect
>majordomo@virginia.edu is trying to tell me something.)
>
>Carl W. Conrad

*Edgar Krentz, Prof. of New Testament                *
* Lutheran School of Theology at Chicago             *
* 1100 East 55th Street                              *
* CHICAGO  IL 60615                                  *
* TEL.: 773-256-0752  FAX: 773-256-0782              *
* Office: ekrentz@lstc.edu OR HOME: emkrentz@mcs.com *