Re: Skewing the Greek Verb

Clay,

I was away for a bit at a youth camp in Louisiana, so I apologize for
not responding to this earlier.  Of course, I don't see evidence that
anyone else picked up on the question.  I wonder if this is because of
all the problems people seem to be having receiving mail from the list.

Skewing is *may* be construed as a statement that there is "something
strange here," but it does not imply that, for example, verbs or verbals
cannot or should not (picking up on your prescriptive grammar comment)
function as substantives.  It is merely recognizing that we would
normally find verbs in verb "slots" and nouns or pronouns in substantive
"slots."  This is based on observation, not the transferrence of
grammatical expectations from other languages.  One of the linguistic
systems that use this approach is tagmemics.  Slewing is stating that a
word which is normally used in one way in a sentence is being used in
another way.  It is a way of handling data that varies from the
predicted model, and is related to imbedding, where phrases or whole
clauses are used as substantives or verbs.

I haven't forgotten your previous requests.  I've just been out of
pocket for a week.

Paul