Re: Mark 7:19 - He Declared All Foods Clean

kdlitwak (kdlitwak@concentric.net)
Mon, 07 Jul 1997 18:29:25 -0700

Hawkins, Mike wrote:

> Ken,
>
> Thank you for answering my initial question so well. However, you
> answered what I asked, not what I meant to ask. So please forgive me
> and
> let me rephrase my question.

I'm a programmer, so you get what you ask, not what you meant ("specify
parameters" as the Enterprises's conmputer would say). The reason some
translations insert this is that the phrase in Greek begins with
KAQARIZWN?ZON/ZEI/etc. and whether the origial reading was a finite
verb or a participle (which I think is correct), the statement would
seem a little rough in English: KAQARIZWN PANTA TA BRWMA...lit., reads
"cleansing all foods," or with the finite verb "he cleanses all foods."
I'll note in passing that mark's preference for the historical present
makes KAQARIZEI fit Mark's style well, and probably for that reason, the
participle is the harder, and probably original reading, but I suppose
it makes little difference really in meaning). Therefore, you may see
why translators would insert what they think Mark is saying, that Jesus
declared all foods to be clean, since Jesus has just orally nullified
the oral and sritten rules about food. You could also take it in a more
physical sense, anmely Jesus made all foods clean (similar to the issue
of what DIKAIOW means in Romans, does God declare believers righteous or
make them righteous, but that's another discussion and Greek grammar
won't solve it) .

Ken Litwak
Graduate Theological Union
Berserkely, CA