Re: Many of the Galatians witnessed the Crucifixion

Wed, 9 Jul 1997 11:13:19 -0400

At 9:38 AM -0400 7/9/97, James H. Vellenga wrote:
>At 7:45 AM -0400 7/9/97, Jonathan Robie wrote:
>>Louw and Nida 33.191 "PROGRAFW: to provide information in a vivid manner -
>>'to describe vividly; to portray.' ... It would be wrong to assume that
>>PROGRAFW in Galatians 3:1 refers to some kind of theatrical demonstration.
>>The portrayal mentioned here was evidently a vivid verbal description."
>
>Pardon my ignorance, but given the Greek love of the visual
>(per Carl Conrad) and their evident love of the theatre (given
>the plays they have preserved), why do Louw and Nida conclude
>that "it would be wrong to assume that PROGRAFW ... refers to
>some kind of theatrical demonstration"?
>
>Is there any evidence that early Christians either did or did
>not use dramatic presentations of the Gospel?

I don't know of any solid evidence for the first century. There have,
however, been theories (a book by Dan Via?) on comic and tragic themes in
presentation of the KERYGMA. It's often seemed to me that the gospel of
Mark especially narrates the Passion with a sort of Greek-tragic sense of
overriding doom--of divine inevitability--of all the actors behaving with
what they conceive as perfect freedom but Jesus alone authentically free
and acting in accordance with his own will. I think this sort of theory may
have some value in terms of literary criticism of the NT but not so much in
terms of demonstrable cultural influence.

What IS remarkable is the readiness with which the Passion narratives lend
themselves to dramatic presentation; I don't know when such dramatic
representation was first done, but there's a 4th (I think) century
scissors-and-paste piece called _Christus Patiens_ that uses fragments from
Greek tragedies to tell the passion story.

Summer: 1647 Grindstaff Road/Burnsville, NC 28714/(704) 675-4243