Re: Ephesians 5:14

Jonathan Robie (jwrobie@mindspring.com)
Fri, 11 Jul 1997 13:08:55 -0400

At 11:32 AM 7/11/97 -0400, Jim Beale wrote:

>But the conjunction between the clauses is not 'DE' but 'GAR'.
>Therefore, "PAN TO FANEROUMENON FWS ESTIN" ought to be seen
>as giving a reason for "TA DE PANTA ELEGXOMENA hUPO TOU FWTOS
>FANEROUTAI."
>
>The translation,
>
> But everything which is reproved by the light is made
> manifest, because all that reveals itself is light.
>
>doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me. I fail to see how
>your interpretation of the latter clause gives a reason for
>the former. How do you see this working? (I need more light;)

GAR doesn't always mean 'because' (though it *never* means 'but', so my
initial translation was simply wrong). Louw and Nida 91.1 says that GAR can
function as a marker of a new sentence, often best left untranslated or
reflected in the use of 'and' or the conjunctive adverb 'then'. Perhaps a
semicolon would do here? How about this translation:

"But all things that are exposed are made visible by the light;
whatever makes itself visible is light."

Whether or not it is correct, that's how I was thinking of it. I'm also
reposting something that was sitting in my outbox all morning which goes
into more depth on my original thinking. I hadn't realized that it did not
go out.

Hope this helps, or is at least clear enough that you can see where to
correct my thinking,

Jonathan

Jonathan Robie jwrobie@mindspring.com http://www.mindspring.com/~jwrobie
POET Software, 3207 Gibson Road, Durham, N.C., 27703 http://www.poet.com