Re: eph 3:20

Glenn L. Weaver (glweaver@poboxes.com)
Tue, 15 Jul 1997 21:21:37 +0000

Andrew wrote:

> Who does "Now to him" refer to in Eph 3:20?

> Now I personally see the TWi ("to Him") as referring to the Holy Spirit.
> The whole context refers to the Spirit that indwells us in order that
> Christ may dwell in our hearts (v. 17). It can't refer to Christ since
> He is mentioned in the next verse - so I think it can really only refer
> to the Spirit or God generally.

It seems to me that the "Now to him" refers back to the subject of
the context--God the Father (v14). Paul is praying to the Father,
the One Who is strengthening believers according to His glorious
riches. Yes, the strengthening comes through the Spirit, but the
context is focused upon the Father according to v.14. In v.16 the
One Who is giving the strength to believers (hINA DWi hUMIN) is the
Father. He employs His Spirit (DIA TOU PNEUMATOS AUTOU) to do this.

Hope this helps!

Glenn L. Weaver Pastor, Grace Community Church
(612) 588-2291 1300 N. Lilac Drive
Golden Valley, MN 55422
--->http://www.netforward.com/poboxes/?gracecc
--->http://www.netforward.com/poboxes/?glweaver