Re: Gal 1:4 art-noun-art-part-adj

John Kendall (john.kendall@virgin.net)
Wed, 24 Sep 1997 11:09:08 +0100

Thanks Carl,

It's not that I thought the construction was "extraordinary", just unusual. I'm
not sure that the attributive pattern
article-substantive-article-attributive-attributive is all that common in the
NT, but I could well be hopelessly wrong!

I'm sorry, but my question was very poorly phrased. It was really prompted by
the textual variant. Let me try again. What syntactic/stylistic reasons would
motivate the scribal change from

EK TOU AIWNOS TOU ENESTWTOS PONHROU
EK TOU ENESTWTOS AIWNOS PONHROU?

Having now got hold of BDF, I see that the former phrase is described without
further explanation as "harsher" (269(5)). This seems to be scratching where
I'm itching. But in what sense is it "harsher"?

Just wondering...

John