Re: Parakletos, all five cases

Trevor M Peterson (spedrson@juno.com)
Sun, 14 Sep 1997 09:44:05 EDT

On Sun, 14 Sep 1997 09:13:17 -0800 Paul Zellmer
<zellmer@isabela.faith.edu.ph> writes:

[snipped]

>The traditional view, as I understand it, is that the Holy Spirit in
>John 14, 15, and 16 comes along beside us to help us. What if,
>instead, Jesus is saying that the Holy Spirit is coming along beside
>him, i.e. Jesus, to help him do his work? This would greatly narrow
>down the semantic domain of this word, would it not? All five
>instances would basically describe the same type function.

This is more or less a gut reaction, but doesn't the usage in John 14:16
tend to argue against this? I've always taken ALLON to follow from Jesus
as the present PARAKLHTOS; thus, TO PNEUMA THS ALHQEIAS is being
described as another paraclete like He has been to them already. I don't
see how this could incorporate a meaning for PARAKLHTOS not directed
toward the disciples.

Trevor Peterson
M.Div. Candidate
Capital Bible Seminary