Re: parassein ta idia in 1 Thess 4:11

Jonathan Robie (jwrobie@mindspring.com)
Fri, 05 Sep 1997 02:12:44 -0400

At 07:28 PM 9/4/97 -0700, Loril Hawk wrote:
>I am curious how this phrase "parassein ta idia" became translated "to mind
>your own business"? I couldn't find in L&N.

The verb is actually PRASSEIN, from PRASSW, which may be why you didn't find
it in L&N, which lists three senses for the word.

a do 42.8 [L&N...3818]
b receive 57.65 [L&N...4288]
c experience 90.76 [L&N...6371]

If we take sense 'a', "do", then this could mean "attend to your own
business", meaning "take care of the (practical) things in your life which
need attention". This suits the context:

1The 4:9 (NASU) Now as to the love of the brethren, you have no need for
[anyone] to write to you, for you yourselves are taught by God to love one
another; 10 for indeed you do practice it toward all the brethren who are in
all Macedonia. But we urge you, brethren, to excel still more,
11 and to make it your ambition to lead a quiet life and attend to your own
business and work with your hands, just as we commanded you, 12 so that you
will behave properly toward outsiders and not be in any need.

Jonathan

Jonathan Robie jwrobie@mindspring.com http://www.mindspring.com/~jwrobie
POET Software, 3207 Gibson Road, Durham, N.C., 27703 http://www.poet.com