Re: Translating and Inclusive Language

Mark Goodacre (goodacms@m4-arts.bham.ac.uk)
Thu, 4 Sep 1997 15:38:57 GMT

David McKay wrote in response to my earlier message (much omitted):

> Mark comments:
> The enormous problem is of course the lack of an
> > inclusive word in English to render him / her etc.
>
> 'Whoever has ears to hear, let THEM hear' etc. ... at
> > least [it's] proper English. [paraphrased Metzger]
>
> But is this proper English?

Thankyou for the comments. I should respond briefly lest the great
Metzger is misrepresented. I was simply meaning to contrast the
invented word 'thon' with the 'proper English' word 'them'.
Apologies if I was misleading. Incidentally, I agree that 'Whoever .
. . them' is pretty awful.

Good wishes

Mark

Dr Mark Goodacre