Re: hendiadys

Jonathan Robie (jwrobie@mindspring.com)
Wed, 01 Oct 1997 16:07:52 -0400

>The Gospel of Mark contains dozens of instances of a hendiadys -

I'm not sure that all of these are Hendiadys - having discovered Hendiadys
yesterday, I may not yet be an expert, though, so please let me know if I am
wrong on these. First off, I think that you have to have a copulative
conjunction to qualify. I *think* that the copulative conjunctions in Greek
are KAI, DE, TE, and ALLA, so these two don't seem to be Hendiasys:

>5:15 TON DAIMONIZOMENON ...TON ESXHKOTA TON LEGIWNA

>5:19 EIS TON OIKON SOU PROS TOUS SOUS - and so on, and so on.
>
>The explanation I have for the above is apparently deemed not
>appropriate for discussion on this list :(

Even if your teaser *is* interesting, it doesn't seem to be Hendiadys ;->

Or am I missing something here? Are any of the following examples Brian
cited true Hendiadys?

>1:42 APHLQEN AP AUTOU hH LEPRA KAI EKAQERISQH
>2:25 XREIAN ESXEN KAI EPEINASEN
>3:26 OU DUNATAI STHNAI ALLA TELOS EXEI
>4:5 TO PETRWDES hOPOU KAI OUK EIXEN GHN POLLHN

Opinions?

Jonathan

Jonathan Robie jwrobie@mindspring.com http://www.mindspring.com/~jwrobie
POET Software, 3207 Gibson Road, Durham, N.C., 27703 http://www.poet.com