Re: hendiadys

Jonathan Robie (jwrobie@mindspring.com)
Thu, 02 Oct 1997 17:41:22 -0400

At 08:18 PM 10/1/97 +0400, Carlton Winbery wrote:

>Brian,
>Your opinion about what explains these texts is perfectly welcome and
>appropriate on this list. If you presented it as the only possible
>explanation and all other views wrong because they violate your theology,
>then there would be trouble.

Thanks, Carlton, for reminding us not to be paranoid here.

What you say is really important. Here are the guidelines on respectful
discourse, taken from the B-Greek web page:

<start quote>

Respectful discourse:

Those who participate in the conference represent a wide range of
theological and denominational perspectives, perhaps even including some
whose interests are purely academic. Deep religious convictions surely
characterize many, perhaps most, of the list-participants, and some of these
convictions bear directly upon how the Biblical text is to be understood. At
the core of our discussion, however, is not what our convictions are but
what the Greek text may legitimately be understood to mean. If discussion of
this nature is to succeed, proper respect and courtesy to other list members
is important. While scholarly debate, including disagreement, is encouraged
as a goal of this conference, attacks upon the character, intelligence, or
faith of those participating are not acceptable. Criticism must focus upon
the arguments of others; it may not be directed to the individual. Those who
violate this policy will be contacted politely by the B-Greek staff and
requested to conform to these guidelines. Those who continue to violate the
policy will no longer be welcome in the conference.

<end quote>

So by all means, let us know what you think the text means, feel free to
disagree with us, and express your convictions when they express how a text
is to be understood. All this is great, and allowed even by the narrowest
possible reading of the guidelines!

Jonathan

Jonathan Robie jwrobie@mindspring.com http://www.mindspring.com/~jwrobie
POET Software, 3207 Gibson Road, Durham, N.C., 27703 http://www.poet.com