Re: Re: 2 THESS 2:2-3

RHutchin@aol.com
Wed, 12 Nov 1997 20:49:18 -0500 (EST)

In a message dated 11/12/97 4:51:04 AM, dixonps@juno.com wrote:

PD
>No, I personally favor the ASV and KJV renderings. In fact, it makes
>good sense to see that the Thessalonian error was that they believed in
>imminency, that is, the belief that the next prophetic event to be
>fulfilled was the coming of the day of the Lord, which is started by the
>coming of the Lord and our gathering together unto HIm (v. 1).
>
>They knew, rightly so, that such was preceded by the great tribulation, a
>period of severe persecution and suffering. They thought they were in
>that period. [snip]

RH
No problem as far as you go. However, why would the Thessalonians be alarmed
or troubled over a prophecy that the Day of the Lord was imminent. If they
anticipated a rapture, it would seem that they would be excited. If they
believed themselves to be in the tribulation, why would they be troubled at
the prospect of the Lord's soon return and their joining Him. I do not
understand the cause for the agitation over the prospect of Christ soon
returning to get them. Would you get upset if you were convinced that Christ
was to return in a short time for you? The ending phrase in v 2 does not
seem to fit there but seems to fit very well as the intro to v 3 (yet this
apparently is not allowed by the Greek). Do you see the problem I am having
here?

Roger Hutchinson
RHutchin@AOL.com