Re: telelestai

Ben Crick (ben.crick@argonet.co.uk)
Tue, 19 May 98 01:22:12

On Mon 18 May 98 (12:19:48), agent_garfield@hotmail.com wrote:
> My question is because I know that the word "tetelestai" comes from
> the root word "teleo" which means "I
> complete". Therefore the perfect infinitive of the word would mean "It
> has been completed".
> Are these stories true, and is "paid in full" a possible translation.
> If it is not, then why do so many pastors today use it?
> Please send responces to "endrisvc@alex.lacollege.edu" because I have
> not yet been able to subscribe to b-greek.
> thank you very much,

Vince,

Jesus began his agony on the Cross by quoting Psalm 22:1, Eloi, Eloi,
lama sebachthani, My God, my God, why hast thou forsaken me.

He ended his agony on the Cross by quoting Psalm 22:31, He has done [it],
KhiY `aSaH: hence TETELESTAI. The cognoscenti among the bystanders at the
Cross would have understood the reference. The mockers did not.

HTH
Ben

--
 Revd Ben Crick, BA CF