[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Paul's use of the Preposition dia with the Accusative

I'm new to this list and relatively new to Biblical Greek - also I am Danish,
so excuse me if I'm not expressing myself in correct manners.

I have learned that the preposition dia with the accusative case
is to be translated "on account of" or "because of".

I am especially interested in Romans 4:25 and taking dia to mean the above
I find that:

1. Christ had to die because of our sins.
2. The Father raised Christ from the death because of our righteousness.

The death/sacrifice of Christ is the only thing needed from Him to assure our
righteousness, not His resurrection. We haven't seen nor expected that anywhere
it should be necessary for the sacrifice to be risen from the death in order
to be considered valid. Instead we see that the Father looking at all of us, who has
received or will receive Christ is considered righteous and therefore He
raised His Son from the death. So when we believe Christ is risen from the death
we also believe His sacrifice was/is valid for our righteousness.

This is obtained by letting dia mean "on account of" but letting dia
mean "for the sake of" or "for" gives quite a different meaning to the verse.

Could anyone please explain the correct understanding of the latter ("for the sake of")
and what's wrong about the former ("on account of").

Leon Mortensen

**	B.S. Leon Mortensen,		**	e-mail: leon@daimi.aau.dk	**
**	Computer Science Department,    **      phone:  +45 8624 0823 (private)	**
**	Aarhus University, Denmark     	**					**