[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Word Studies and the NIV

I agree that word studies from translations are inferior at best but for
the majority of Christians, it's all that's possible given their
knowledge of Hebrew and Greek.

I would estimate that the majority of people without Greek knowledge who
do word studies (there are a lot out there!) use an NIV. Something like
an NASB will still be inferior to a Greek word study but would be a lot
more helpful than an NIV word study. Herein lies my concern. I admire the
NIV translation for what it was intended to be but NIV word studies are
IMHO to be avoided at all costs.

James K. Tauber, Undergraduate Student          ``Perplexed but not
Centre for Linguistics, UWA, Australia	             despairing''
E-mail: jtauber@tartarus.uwa.edu.au                    - Paul (2 Cor 4.8)
WWW:    ftp://tartarus.uwa.edu.au/pub/jtauber/main.html