[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Word Studies and the NIV

On Tue, 10 May 1994, James McMillan wrote:
> Is this not where the concept of "semantic domains" enters the picture?
> It is helpful to be able to look at a cluster of words that are roughly
> synonymous whether in the source language or the receptor language.
> Simply doing a word study in the Greek without considering what choices
> are available in English is not an adequate word study, IMHO.

This seems like an appropriate time to mention a project I'm just about
to start. Recently I completed a book entitled _Index to the Greek New
Testament_ which is off to the printers next week. (I'm publishing it
myself). It's basically a concordance of dictionary forms in the UBS3
without context quotes. Basically it'll tell you all the
book/chapter/verse references of each Greek lexeme all in a book that
will sell for less that US$15. I know Zondervan has just come out with an
Exhaustive Concordance to the Greek New Testament but it probably
includes contexts and hence costs 5 times as much (with a corresponding
weight increase). Please don't consider this an ad as I'm only producing
it locally (unless someone out there would like to publish it in the US,
or whatever).

Anyway, for the last couple of weeks I've been thinking how handy it
would be to include as a second section a semantic hierarchy of all the
5380 Greek lexemes. This would place (agapaw, agaph, agaphtos) together
on one level and join them to filew, etc. on a higher level. I'm imagine
this would be a helpful tool for word studies.

I'll like to put together such a semantic hierarchy, include it in the
second edition of my _Index_ and make it available on Internet as a WWW
page, etc. I need lots of help. Anyone interested?

(Yes, I'm familiar with Nida-Louw. I ordered it 4 months ago and it still
hasn't arrived. It might prove to be a helpful starting point.)

James K. Tauber, Undergraduate Student          ``Perplexed but not
Centre for Linguistics, UWA, Australia	             despairing''
E-mail: jtauber@tartarus.uwa.edu.au                    - Paul (2 Cor 4.8)
WWW:    ftp://tartarus.uwa.edu.au/pub/jtauber/main.html