[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Now we have "Complete Equivalence"?

	As an intermediate student of N.T. Greek I am enjoying this
discussion of "Dynamic Equivalence" (DE). However, I am now using as my
primary Bible translation the New King James Version (NKJV) by Nelson
Publishers. The NKJV says it is based on the translation principle of
"Complete Equivalence" (CE). It is defined in the Preface of the NKJV as
seeking "to preserve ALL (emphasis theirs) of the information in the
text, while presenting it in good literary form". I use this translation
because of the study Bible that I like (Spirit Filled Life) and also I
memorized the KJV as a youth and I don't have to rememorize verses to
find out where I am in the Bible.

	I am wondering, what some of you think about the CE idea?

	Also as far as "good" translations and "bad" translations are
concerned, I think that the LXX might qualify as a "bad" translation, but
yet it was used by Jesus (I think) and the apostles and the early church.
So it seems that God placed his approval on a "bad" translation. By the
way, I used to hate the TEV and still don't like it much now. (But I've
become mellower in my middle age ministry!).

	So we have the translation principles of DE and CE. I would
like to offer another possible category for some paraphases. It is called
the principle of (WE) = What Equivalence? :-)

Ken Hammonds  hammonds@netcom.com
West Angeles, Church of God in Christ
Los Angeles, CA