[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Now we have "Complete Equivalence"?

On Tue, 10 May 1994, Kenneth Hammonds wrote:

> The NKJV says it is based on the translation principle of
> "Complete Equivalence" (CE). It is defined in the Preface of the NKJV as
> seeking "to preserve ALL (emphasis theirs) of the information in the
> text, while presenting it in good literary form".

Given that a definition will distinguish a concept from similar but
non-equivalent concepts, the above quotation does not provide a
definition of "Complete Equivalence."  *Any* translation theory worth its
salt will attempt to achieve that goal! (At least with an acceptably wide
interpretaiton of "good literary form"!  :)  )  I have long deplored the
NKJV because I perceived it to be almost purely a market ploy with little
or no substantive contribution to the cause of Bible translation.  This
attempt to create a so-called "Complete Equivalence" theory that somehow
competes with what is available is just one more example of why I have
such misgivings.  The concept is contentless and bogus -- it offers no
real alternative to the prevailing translation theories, but it makes you
feel good about its presence.  "Symbol over Substance," to quote the Rush
Man.

> 	Also as far as "good" translations and "bad" translations are
> concerned, I think that the LXX might qualify as a "bad" translation, but
> yet it was used by Jesus (I think) and the apostles and the early church.
> So it seems that God placed his approval on a "bad" translation.

Interesting point!  I have often maintained (much to the chagrin of many
who hear me!) that the HS may well have used a *mistranslation* in the
LXX to establish a NT doctrine with profound implications.  I speak of
the translation of "ALMAH" in Isa. 7:14 with "parthenos," which, it seems
to me, is best explained by a lack of knowledge on the part of the
translators either of the common meaning of "ALMAH" or the common meaning
of "parthenos"!

Woops.  I think I did it again.  Guess I'll sit back and watch the thread
develop on this one ... .

"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."
--Groucho Marx

Prof. James F. Sennett
Asst. Professor of Philosophy         sennett@goliath.pbac.edu
Palm Beach Atlantic College                    andretg@aol.com
PO Box 24708                             voice: (407) 835-4431
West Palm Beach, FL  33416-4708            fax: (407) 835-4342

Follow-Ups: References: