        Cc: swanson@inst.augie.edu
        Transliteration
        Re: John 8:58-59, son of man
        Re: Transliteration
        Cephas (Weeden)
        Re: Transliteration
        Re: protokos in Col. 1:15, 18
        transliteration
        Re. Transliteration
        Re: Transliteration

From: Dvdmoore@aol.com
Date: Wed, 14 Dec 1994 09:24:59 -0500
Subject: Re: protokos in Col. 1:15, 18

DDDJ@aol.com (Dennis) wrote:

>If I remember my seminary greek properly this is called a genitive of rank.
>First born over all creation. I remember that there are some example of this
>in reference to Yahweh in the OT LXX but I do not remember the references.
>I remember this verse changing my whole out look on Greek. If this was
>translated as it normally would be, then you would have to conclude that
>Jesus was a part of the creation (partive genitive) but since this
>contradicts our theology it can not be true. We use our theology to determine

>our understanding of the Greek and then say the Greek supports us. It is
>cirular reasoning to me. First born over all creation is a viable choice in
>translating (IMHO), but it normally would not be our first choice.

     "Genitive of rank" sounds correct for what we have here.  Really, it is
the context from vv. 16-17 that require this interpretation.  There is really
no need to invoke our theology here at all.  Verses 16 and 17 consist of
several very emphatic statements about the priority of Christ to all of
creation.  They are phrased in such a way as to leave no doubt as to Christ's
existence before any created thing came into being.

    One should not interpret PRWTOTOKOS in v. 15 by its usage in v. 18; there
is a contrast between the usages in the two verses.  The latter is
accompanied by an ablative use of the genitive.  So the meaning of  v. 18 is
not that death gave birth to Christ, but that He was the first to issue out
of death into eternal life.  Since the idea of Christ *originating* from
death would be absolutely foreign to Paul's thought, the interpretation that
He was the first to issue out of death to eternal life would hold in v. 18
even if we were to consider EK (omitted by P46 and by the original hand of
Aleph) as not part of the original text.  Since the context provided by vv.
16 and 17 indicate that PRWTOTOKOS in v. 15 should be understood as a
genitive of rank, it would be a mistake to demand that PRWTOTOKOS in v. 15 be
interpreted in the same sense as in v. 18.

David Moore