From: Timster132@aol.com
Date: Fri, 31 Mar 1995 13:30:57 -0500
Subject: Re: Baptism

TO: B-GREEK@VIRGINIA.EDU
From: Timster132@aol.com

  What a thread!
   Since this topic has meandered so much, I'd thought I'd just throw my two
cents in.
    One issue I see here is: What is apostolic authority and what has it to
do with us today?
     Although my church arose outside of the apostolic originated churches (I
am in the Christian Church [Disciples of Christ]), I was lucky enough to have
a United Methodist minister as one who laid hands on me at my ordination.
 The UMC traces its apostolic link to the Church of England, which is still
in communion with the Roman Catholic church which has a link to Paul who was
martyred there and Peter who met his death there traditionally as well.
     In other words, there is a fair degree of probability that those whom
the apostles laid hands upon, laid hands upon those who laid hands upon...
[scribal omission]... who laid hands upon me.  Its kinda cool to think about.
 BUT, does it give me any special authority?  Does it single me out as one
who is entrusted with word and sacrament and order?
     To answer "yes", in my opinion, is taking a BIG leap.

    Back to Scripture.  Paul tells the Corinthians that we are baptized into
the body of Christ.  This is the main focus.  Not who is administrating the
baptism.  Into whom is the question.  We are baptized into the Body.
   Baptism, is its essense, is a corporate event.  Its not just "me and
Jesus", but its something which belongs to a church community.  So, I think
the issue was not who baptized whom in the pool, but who all was there?  The
church-- the body of Christ-- its _presence_ is an essential element.
     So whoever is the recognized head of the local body of Christ is the one
who would naturally be baptizing-- not in apostolic authority of succession---
 but in the name of the church community.
     We in our individualistic society, quickly forget all these things.  God
help us reclaim the Body of Christ.

    There's my diatribe for the day.
    Yours in Christ,

    Tim