From: RobDK@aol.com
Date: Sat, 14 Jan 1995 04:19:31 -0500
Subject: Matthew 5  To whom?

Hi Ken,

Thanks for you input, even if you are withholding your opinion :(

You responded to my view, saying,

****
I think this is a very interesting topic as well.  I am not going to give
an opinion on it (to the relief of many I'm sure).  I do have a follow-up
question for Rob or anyone else who wants to respond.  It seems to me
that Matthew goes to great pains to show that Jesus is the Messiah,
fulfilling OT prophecies (even from texts we can't identify!).  The
text seems to suggest, to me at least, that Matthew is trying to
convince Jewish readers of the validity of the Christian claim that
Jesus is the Messiah.  I wouldn't think that establishing that claim
would be as important in a Gentile setting.  Thus, I'd be really
interested in hearing more "exegetical discoveries" that lead to the
conclusion that Matthew's chief audience is primarily Gentile
in makeup.

Cheers,

Ken Litwak
Emeryville, CA

****

You won't get any exegetical discoveries from me concluding that Matthew's
audience was primarily Gentile!  I think you misunderstood my post.  I am not
arguing that Matthew is writing to Gentiles.  In fact, my argument only makes
sense if his intended readers are primarily Jewish.  Gentile Christians would
not be questioning the church's apparent disregard for the Mosaic Law, but
Jewish believers certainly would. This was a very important matter to them.
It is to them that Matthew writes and attempts to explain what has happened
to the Mosaic Law.

I do disagree with you, however, in regard to the Jews to whom he wrote.  I
tend to think Matthew wrote to Jews who were already believers in Jesus and
needed to be taught more, rather than to unbelieving Jews who needed to be
convinced that Jesus was the Messiah.  Hence, I see the book as primarily
catechetical rather than evangelistic.  That is to say, it was written to and
for the church.

Thanks again for your post!

Rob