From: David Last <D.Last@mmu.ac.uk>
Date: Mon, 16 Jan 1995 10:51:00 GMT
Subject: Re: Which law(s)?

Carl Conrad wrote:
> Thanks very much for your post in response to mine of last week; I had
> feared from the deafening silence that nobody wanted to talk about this
> very interesting passage. I like very much what you say about the Sermon
> on the Mount and I think it quite persuasive. One question: do you mean
> from what you say about the dawning Kingdom of Heaven that Mt's
> eschatology is largely "realized"?

My apologies for the slow response to this question - I've been away from
my PC for a few days.  I'm glad that others have taken up this
discussion in the meantime.  However, because my time is limited I'd like
to take up just Carl's question at the moment.

- ---
I think my answer would be "no".  The passage seems to reflect a
interesting line of thought based on a balance of continuity and
discontinuity.  And this tension leads me to an "already but not yet"
reading of the eschatology.

So, take the power of those eight declarations - the beatitudes -
at the start of the sermon.  They are tremendous; it seems like
a golden age of peace and happiness is about to sweep into history.
And then bang: the ninth beatitude.  Jesus warns his hearers that
those who follow him can expect insults and persecutions directed
against them.  Just as it was for the prophets before, so it will
be for them.  Yet the fact is still that they are blessed people; they
are part of the kingdom.  But at the moment they rejoice not
in seen benefits but in unseen ones: rewards in heaven.  Already
Jesus' hearers are blessed people but not yet have the full
kingdom benefits arrived for them (they are still praying "your kingdom
come").

Now this same tension seems to be in v17 onwards.  The law and the
prophets still stand; this is not a time for their removal. Indeed the
law stands until heaven and earth disappear.  Yet something very
important has changed.  The law now reaches full potential because Jesus
comes "to fulfil".  Then we get the passages discussing what "was said"
followed by "but I tell you".

I hope that answers your question Carl.  I realise that many other
questions abound but then this thread has only just started ...

David Last

------------------------------

> > Thanks very much for your post in response to mine of last week; I had
> > feared from the deafening silence that nobody wanted to talk about this
> > very interesting passage. I like very much what you say about the Sermon
> > on the Mount and I think it quite persuasive. One question: do you mean
> > from what you say about the dawning Kingdom of Heaven that Mt's
> > eschatology is largely "realized"?
>
> . . . [omitted introductory par.]
> I think my answer would be "no".  The passage seems to reflect a
> interesting line of thought based on a balance of continuity and
> discontinuity.  And this tension leads me to an "already but not yet"
> reading of the eschatology.
>
> So, take the power of those eight declarations - the beatitudes -
> at the start of the sermon.  They are tremendous; it seems like
> a golden age of peace and happiness is about to sweep into history.
> And then bang: the ninth beatitude.  Jesus warns his hearers that
> those who follow him can expect insults and persecutions directed
> against them.  Just as it was for the prophets before, so it will
> be for them.  Yet the fact is still that they are blessed people; they
> are part of the kingdom.  But at the moment they rejoice not
> in seen benefits but in unseen ones: rewards in heaven.  Already
> Jesus' hearers are blessed people but not yet have the full
> kingdom benefits arrived for them (they are still praying "your kingdom
> come").
>
> Now this same tension seems to be in v17 onwards.  The law and the
> prophets still stand; this is not a time for their removal. Indeed the
> law stands until heaven and earth disappear.  Yet something very
> important has changed.  The law now reaches full potential because Jesus
> comes "to fulfil".  Then we get the passages discussing what "was said"
> followed by "but I tell you".
>
> I hope that answers your question Carl.  I realise that many other
> questions abound but then this thread has only just started ...

I am in accord with this reading of the eschatology of Mt 5 (I raised the
issue originally in response to your phrasing about this teaching
reflecting the "dawning of the Kingdom" (or a similar phrase). And I
think this is consistent with the eschatology of the gospel as a whole;
as I read Mt 24-25, the delay of the parousia is envisioned in the
parable of the Wise and Foolish Virgins (and in general in these
chapters), and also in the Parables of the Kingdom in chap 13. Yet the
"already" element would appear to be involved in Mt's use of the term
"Kingdom of Heaven" to refer to the church community as an incipient
nucleus of the people of the age-to-come.

I might reply briefly to the short-lived thread that Ken Litwack
initiated in an inquiry that was apparently unclear or misunderstood. I
don't think this gospel is addressed directly and specifically at/to Jews
nor to Gentiles either AS SUCH, but rather to a church community which
understands itself as the "True Israel", the legitimate heir to the
descendants of Abraham, hearers and doers of the teachings of Rabbi
Jesus, keepers of the treasure of Old Israel as well as that of the New
(13:52). I don't mean by this to extend the discussion of Mt 5 into a
general discussion of Matthew, but simply to assume a stance toward that
question on which there was some exchange of views.

One Brookings Drive, St. Louis, MO 63130, USA
(314) 935-4018