From: Arlen.P.Walker@jci.com
Date: Wed, 18 Jan 1995 12:08 -0500 (CDT)
Subject: Camel or rope?

In Matthew 19:24 we have the reference to the camel and eye of a needle. But a
footnote points out that some "inferior" manuscripts have kamilon instead of
kamelon, which would then refer to a ship's hawser, a very thick rope.

The pronunciation is similar, so I guess I have three questions here:

1) What, precisely makes those other manuscripts "inferior"

2) Is it possible that although they are inferior in other respects they have it
right here? (after all, even a stopped clock is right twice a day)

3) Does the phonetic similarity make this a transcription problem arising from
writing down an account which may have been traditionally oral?

Thanks for the help.

Have fun,
Arlen
DNRC 24