[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

b-greek-digest V1 #548

b-greek-digest           Thursday, 19 January 1995     Volume 01 : Number 548

In this issue:

        Re: Pastoral epistles inquiry
        Re: Entry level Greek texts
        eph. 2:8-9
        Re: Eph. 2:8-99
        Re: eph. 2:8-9
        Re: Camel or rope?
        Re: Pastoral epistles inquiry
        Re: eph. 2:8-9
        Re: Pastoral epistles inquiry
        Re: Camel or rope?
        Matt 19:24
        Books on stylometry
        Henry Planck
        Re: Camel or rope?
        Re: Pastoral epistles inquiry
        Pastoral epistles inquiry/lexical statistics
        2 Peter 3:9
        2 Peter 3:9
        Re: Camel or rope?
        Re:  eph. 2:8-9
        Re: Camel or rope?
        Re: eph. 2:8-9
        Re: Pastoral epistles inquiry

From: Dvdmoore@aol.com
Date: Thu, 19 Jan 1995 01:45:14 -0500
Subject: Re: Pastoral epistles inquiry

scc@reston.icl.com (Stephen Carlson) wrote:

>My own lexicostatistical studies seem to show close affinities
>(a) among all the Pastorals, (b) between the two Thessalonians, (c)
>between Colossians and Ephesians, (d) among the Johannine epistles
>and with John, (e) a lack of contacts between Revelation and the other
>Johannine literature, and (f) the existence of a Synoptic Problem.

>2 Timothy does indeed show somewhat greater lexical contacts with the
>Pauline corpus than either of the other Pastorals, and Yule's
>Characteristic supports this as well.

     One of the possible reasons for the difference in language between the
Pastorals and the rest of the Pauline corpus could be that the former are
sent to Paul's coleagues in ministry and not, primarily, to the congregations
they were pastoring.  Paul's other letters are to the congregations.  Those
of us who are pastors know that the language and vocabulary we use among our
peers (more or less { :-) ) here on the list might not always be readily
understood if we used them in messages to our congregations.  So we adjust
our modes of speech and vocabulary to the situation.  Any of us, in fact,
adjusts his or her language in different situations: at times, perhaps
somewhat unconsciously.  The use of larger words (5.5 letters average) in the
Pastorals as opposed to vocabulary of shorter words in the other Paulines
(4.82 letters average) would fit with some such reason for the differences in
vocabulary in general (J. N. D. Kelly, _The Pastoral Epistles_, p.23 cites
the word-length figures given above.).

David L. Moore