From: W.Burton@agora.stm.it
Date: Wed,  15 Mar 95 9:57:44 GMT
Subject: Humor  Helps

I was reading all the posts this morning and was beginning to feel the

slightest bit offended by
the tone of some of the references to Catholicism, when suddenly this
appeared in my e-mail
box.  Sent to me from a Franciscan friar colleague in the United States.

I know that is afield for this list but there may  be some on this list
like myself who will regain
their perspective with a chuckle.

Fr. Bill Burton, OFM
Gregorian University
Rome, Italy

>  MICROSOFT Bids to Acquire Catholic Church
>
>  By Hank Vorjes
>
>  VATICAN CITY (AP) -- In a joint press conference in St. Peter's Square
this morning,
MICROSOFT Corp. and the Vatican announced that the  Redmond software giant
will acquire
the Roman Catholic Church in exchange for an unspecified number of shares
of MICROSOFT
common stock.  If the deal goes through, it will be the first time a
computer software company
has acquired a major world religion.

>  With the acquisition, Pope John Paul II will become the senior
vice-president of the combined
company's new Religious Software Division, while MICROSOFT senior
vice-presidents Michael
Maples and Steven Ballmer will be invested in the College of Cardinals,
said  MICROSOFT
Chairman Bill Gates.

>  "We expect a lot of growth in the religious market in the next five to
ten years," said Gates.
"The combined resources of MICROSOFT and the Catholic Church will allow us
to make
religion easier and more fun for a broader range of people."

>  Through the MICROSOFT Network, the company's new on-line service, "we
will make the
sacraments available on-line for the first time" and revive the popular
pre-Counter-Reformation
practice of selling indulgences, said Gates. "You can get Communion,
confess your sins,  receive
absolution -- even reduce your time in Purgatory -- all without leaving
your home."

>  A new software application, MICROSOFT Church, will include a macro
language which you
can program to download heavenly graces automatically while you are away
from your
computer.

>  An estimated 17,000 people attended the announcement in St Peter's
Square, watching on a
60-foot screen as comedian Don Novello -- in  character as Father Guido
Sarducci -- hosted the
event, which was broadcast by satellite to 700 sites worldwide.

>  Pope John Paul II said little during the announcement. When Novello
chided Gates, "Now I
guess you get to wear one of these pointy hats," the crowd roared, but the
pontiff's smile seemed
strained.

>  The deal grants MICROSOFT exclusive electronic rights to the Bible and
the Vatican's
prized
art collection, which includes works by such masters as Michelangelo and Da
Vinci. But critics
say MICROSOFT will face stiff challenges if it attempts to limit
competitors' access to these key
intellectual properties.

>  "The Jewish people invented the look and feel of the holy scriptures,"
said Rabbi David
Gottschalk of Philadelphia. "You take the parting of the Red Sea -- we had
that thousands of
years before the Catholics came on the scene."

>  But others argue that the Catholic and Jewish faiths both draw on a
common Abrahamic
heritage. "The Catholic Church has just been more  successful in marketing
it to a larger
audience," notes Notre Dame theologian Father Kenneth Madigan. Over the
last 2,000 years,
the
>  Catholic Church's market share has increased dramatically, while
Judaism, which was the first
to offer many of the concepts now touted by Christianity, lags behind.
>  Historically, the Church has a reputation as an aggressive competitor,
leading crusades to
pressure people to upgrade to Catholicism, and entering into exclusive
licensing arrangements in
various kingdoms whereby all subjects were installed with Catholicism,
whether or not they
planned to use it. Today Christianity is available from several
denominations, but the Catholic
version is still the most widely used.
>  The Church's mission is to reach "the four corners of the earth,"
echoing MICROSOFT's
vision of "a computer on every desktop and in every home".

>  Gates described MICROSOFT's long-term strategy to develop a scalable
religious architecture
that will support all religions through  emulation. A single core religion
will be offered with a
choice of interfaces according to the religion desired -- "One religion, a
couple of different
implementations," said Gates.

>  The MICROSOFT move could spark a wave of mergers and acquisitions,
according to Herb
Peters, a spokesman for the U.S. Southern Baptist Conference, as other
churches scramble to
strengthen their position in the increasingly competitive religious market.