From: Georg Stubkjaer Adamsen <gsadamsn@login.dknet.dk>
Date: Fri, 31 Mar 1995 08:02:46 -0100
Subject: Re: No Subject/Apocalypse

Sorry ;-) for interrupting your discussion:

In article <9503301754.AA05721@arctic.sybgate.sybase.com>,
Kenneth Litwak <kenneth@sybase.com> wrote:
> Tim,
>
>     Pseudonymity is not the only issue.  In addition, there is:
> 1. a lack of the standard review of world history
> 2. A pessimistic view of world history
>
>      BTW, why shouldn't we identify John the apostle with John of Ephesus?
> I can't explain the prophecy genre. I only read the suggestion.
> I'd like to know why it is thought Revelation wasn't written against the
> background of persecution.

Why we shouldn't identify John the apostne with John of Ephesus
(i.e. the "author" of Revelation)? Good question ;-) I believe
that to be true, and it was widely accepted in the early church
_if_ they did accept Revelation, as far as I remember. But the
history of Revelation is a complicated one. It is treated in
N.B. Stonehouse: _The Apocalypse in the Early Church_. Goes,
1929 and in: G. Maier: _Die Johannesoffenbarung und die Kirche_
(WUNT 25). Tuebingen, 1981.

About persecution: I didn't state, that Revelation wasn't
written againt the background of persecution, but that it wasn't
written againt a background of persecution caused by the Roman
Emperor Domitian. In fact, the reason is that Domitian was not
accused of that before in the second century by some writers
obviously writing in the favour of the aristocracy againt the
Emperor. Besides that there was no known persecution at all in
Asia in the first century. On the contrary it was a time of
great prosperity to Asia. The internal evidence from Revelation
is far from clear. There is a reference to a killed person
(Antipas) but that's not a good reason for proposing a general
theory of prosecution, IMHO.

What _may_ be true is that there was some sort of persecution
caused by the Christians' relationship to the local city cult as
we know from e.g. Acts. But I am still studying this issue and
haven't reached my position yet.

Finally (in this letter), if you interpret Revelation as
evidence of a (severe) conflict between the Early Church and the
Roman Empire then you have some evidence of a conflict which can
support your reading of Revelation as evidence of a ... Well,
perhaps a joke, but the danger of circular reasoning applies
here, I'm afraid. As the European currencies have some crises at
the moment, I think I will leave my two Danish kroner here and

- -- Georg S. Adamsen, Denmark