From: Kenneth Litwak <kenneth@sybase.com>
Date: Sun, 2 Apr 95 22:32:54 PDT
Subject: Re: Date of Revelation

    Tim, I'm not disputing asking questins about the NT texts.  What I am
asking is why th NT texts are not allowed to serve as historical evidence.
Whether the NT texts seek to provide historical information is in my
opinion an open question and can't just be stated as yes or no.  The fact
remains that we believe a lot fo thingsd happened in history on the
basis of only one witness, so to speak.  Yet, the NT documents are NEVER
accorded that same sort of status for providing evidence of what happened
in critical scjholarhsip, aand I think it's time for this bias to be
demonstrated.  Who thinks Neil Armstrong landed on the Moon?  I do, but
I admit right up front that there is onlu one source, a television
broadcast, that actually showed it happening.  Everything else is
circumstantial.  Yet few question taht he did so.  If the Pastorals
paint a picture of church life in a given era, why is it rejected
in spite of the abscence of any other document to show otherwise?
That's preposterous.  So again, why are the NT documents singled out
this way?

Ken Litwak
Emeryville, CA

P.S.,

   Actually, I'll include the OT documents as well, except the APocrypha,
since no one seems to doubt the Maccabean revolt, though I don't know why
since it only has a few literary witnesses, easily suspect, perhaps forged
from Cynic influence!