From: David Moore <dvdmoore@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Thu, 13 Apr 1995 19:44:54 -0700
Subject: Exad, etc.

Moshe Shulman <mshulman@ix.netcom.com>

>>	You might take a look at the Septuagint's translation of it which

>>comes out in English to "The L-rd our G-d is one L-rd."  According to

>>_The History of the Jewish People in the Age of Jesus Christ_, by
Emil
>>Schurer, the rabbis in Palestine expressly allowed the _Shema_ to be
>>recited in Greek (Vol. III.1, p. 142), which most probably conformed
>>the Greek of the Septuagint.

>David, you m,iss the point. I don't really care what the LXX/GB says.
>have asked you, since you are posting as if you know Hebrew, how you
>would say that G-d is one, meaning a simple unity and not a compount
>one. I contend that you don't know Hebrew well enough to answer that,
>and that what you are writing is jus to confuse.

	To take the discussion into personal questions sheds little light
on the subject, especially if there is no specific, substantive
objection to the assertions made.  But since I have been publicly asked
about my knowledge of Hebrew, I'll have to publicly reply, won't I.

	When I read Hebrew (beyond the first several chapters of
Genesis), I do it with a lexicon at one elbow and a grammar at the
other.  Of the former, BDBG is still helpful, and Holladay is a good
concise lexicon, if one doesn't have access to the full Koehler and
Baumgartner.  On grammars, Gesenius is old but still useful, and I also
have the grammar by Rudolf Meyer, a translation (abridged?) of his work
into Spanish, which gives considerable cognate-language info.  I also
keep a Strong's nearby and and Even-Shoshan as well.  It's not the
quickest way to read Hebrew (I would suppose my reading isn't as quick
as Moshe's), but these are the tools I have for accessing the Hebrew
Scriptures.

	I don't claim to have mastered all the info in these books, but I
reference them in my study and can usually tell if someone is
presenting a specious or vacuous argument from the Hebrew.  I try to
limit what I say to what I know.  I hope others may form their opinions
of me and of my knowledge of the Hebrew Scriptures on the basis of my
posts.

Shalom basar shalom,

    David L. Moore                    Director of Education
    Miami, FL, USA                Southeastern Spanish District
Dvdmoore@ix.netcom.com               of the Assemblies of God