From: Jim Hill <jim@pasteur.hsf.uab.edu>
Date: Thu, 18 May 95 08:50:04 -0500
Subject: washing of regeneration (fwd)

Please comment on the validity of the comments on Titus 3:5 which are found
below.

> Subject: Re: washing of regeneration
>

> Robert Lingle was here:

> > I assume in the following that by "baptismal regeneration"

> > you mean the doctrine I espouse that a person is still lost
> > in sin until he is baptized in water...

         [Titus 3]

------------------------------

From: "Edgar M. Krentz" <emkrentz@mcs.com>
Date: Thu, 18 May 1995 09:44:37 -0600
Subject: Re: Some recent threads

Carl Conrad's recent communication about the nature of scholarly
discussion, comunication, translation, and the like was excellent--and=
 good
common sense and courtesy to boot.

We all owe him thanks for that one. Incidentally, I find Morton Smith=
fascinating person, both to read and years ago to hear. I was present=
 when
he made that much-remarked analysis of Jacob Neusner. It is often=
 so
difficult to separate person from thought--though I try to do that=
 as much
as possible.

One the other hand, someone [not I] ought to begin collecting the=
 oral
history about such scholars. I think of Arthur Darby Nock, about=
 whom
stories are legion, E. R. Goodenough, Wilamowitz in relation to Norden,=
 and
the like. I am thinking of something like Hans F. von Campenhausen's
_Theologen Spies und Spass-. I recall the anecdotal conversation=
 of
Hildebrecht Hommel in the gem=FCtliche Abende that he hosted for=
 his
Hauptseminar in T=FCbingen in the sixties. People who studied with=
 Ernst
K=E4semann share anecdotes about him still. One learns much about=
 scholars in
this para-scholarly exchange.

Edgar Krentz <emkrentz@mcs.com>
New Testament, Lutheran School of Theology at Chicago
1100 East 55th St., Chicago, IL 60615
(Voice) Home: 312/947-8105; Off.: 312-753-0752