From: amedamne@trianon.worldtel.com
Date: Sun, 21 May 1995 07:25:30 -0400 (EDT)
Subject: Jn 1:1-3 and `Vancouver Sun'

Greetings and Peace:

After reading the recent response to the posting on the subject:
`Re: Colwell rule', I thought many of the listers would be
interested in knowing the following text that appeared on page A-2
of `VANCOUVER SUN' (a local daily), on March 10, 1994 on the
subject matter.  Below is a copy of the published text:

               Jesus Christ a God incarnate!
                     Know Your Bible
                      (Series No.1)

In the beginning was the Command(1), and the Command was with(2)
the God(3), and the Command was Divine(4). This [the Command](5)
was in the beginning with the God.  All things were made by this
(the Command); and without this was not any thing made that was
made.  John 1:1-3.

     (1) The Greek term used by John is `Logos', derived from
`Lego' - meaning `to speak'. The English term `Decalogue' meaning
`Ten Commandments' is a combination of the Greek words `deka' (Ten)
and `logous' (Commands). The term `Logos' means, `God's Spoken
Command'.
     (2) The word `with' creates an enigmatic dilemma for those who
prefer to render `Logos' as `Jesus' instead of `The Command'. How
can Jesus be `with the God' and `was the God', as well? The concept
of God's Spoken Command being `with the God' from `the beginning',
coincides with the biblical concept for the Creation. "And the God
said, Let there be light; and there was light." Genesis 1:3. John's
opening is very similar to that of the Genesis.
     (3) Here in the Greek text, John has used the definitive
article `the' (ho) before `God' (Theo), because it is a Subject.
     (4) Here, John has not used the definitive article `the'
before `God', because it is a Predicate. In other words the term
used here denotes the nature, quality, attribute or property of the
Subject. In this instance the nature of the God's Command is
Divine.
     (5) In some biblical versions, the word `This' is replaced
with `This (one)' or `He (Jesus)'. However, the word `This' refers
to `The Spoken Command'.

               To comprehend John 1:14 please write to:
          A.M.TRUST, POST BOX 81075, BURNABY, B.C. V5H 4K2

The end of the published text.

God Bless You

Ameh <amedamne@trianon.worltel.com>