From: Carl W Conrad <cwconrad@artsci.wustl.edu>
Date: Sat, 27 May 1995 07:06:13 -0500 (CDT)
Subject: John the Baptist in Synoptics and John

On Fri, 26 May 1995, Greg Jordan <jordan@chuma.cas.usf.edu>wrote:

> I would also like to go on tangent - ...  One thing ALL 4 GOSPELS
> have in common is a  vastly underrated emphasis on John the Baptist as
> the way early  Christians viewed the beginning of Christianity.  Jesus
> was not the  beginning, John the Baptist was.  The Synoptics tend to
> indicate Jesus  was a follower of John the Baptist, and that he met
> many of his disciples  first through his associations with him.  All 4
> Gospels, as well as Acts  etc., imply John the Baptist founded a major
> Jewish pietistic movement that  layed the foundation for future
> Christian converts.

I'd readily consent to all the propositions hereabove cited (omitting
intentionally the item with which Greg sought to provoke us, namely, a
hint of the pre-existence of John the Baptist--although, I confess it, I
am curious as to how he sees that potentially implied in the Greek text
of 1:6-8); yet it seems to me that there is a fundamental distinction
between the treatment of John the Baptist in the Synoptics and in the
gospel of John. I think you came back, Greg, some time after I had tried
to get some feedback on this very question of the context in which Jesus
confronted and attracted the first disciples. You say, "The Synoptics
tend to indicate Jesus  was a follower of John the Baptist, and that he met
many of his disciples  first through his associations with him." But I
see this happening only in John's gospel, where the Baptist has come "for
witness" and is interrogated by what appear to be judicial investigators
from Jerusalem regarding his MARTURIA; John is the MARTUROS in the great
KRISIS, the great "impeachment" of the KOSMOS and simultaneously the
"separation" of the blind from the seeing. It is in John 1 that Andrew
and an unnamed other disciple of the Baptist are attracted to Jesus by
the Baptist's MARTURIA; then Andrew brings Simon Peter. The narrative
only THEN moves to Galilee for the calling of Philip and Nathanael,
although it does mention that they are from Bethsaida, "the polis of
Andrew and Peter." This is in striking contrast to the Synoptic gospels
which seem to make Simon Peter and Andrew resident in Capernaum and which
also seem to place the first calling of them there in Capernaum by the
lake shore. Now while it could, I suppose, be argued that Mark's (1:14)
temporal reference preceding Jesus' Galilean ministry, META TO
PARADOQHNAI TON IWANNHN, implies that Jesus had previously himself been a
disciple of the Baptist following his own baptism, it seems to me that
(1) Mark's indication (1:12) of the temptation episode (1:12) as ensuing
IMMEDIATELY (EUQUS, 12) upon Jesus' baptism argues against any Marcan
perception of a linkage between the Baptist and the call of the
disciples; (2) the real point of the PARADOQHNAI TON IWANNHN reference in
Mark 1:14 is to introduce the distinctive Marcan theme that John, Jesus,
and the disciples will, each in turn, as they set out on their mission of
proclamation, face the doom of arrest and execution; (3) the attempt to
read the PARADOQHNAI TON IWANNHN phrase as a link between an earlier
ongoing association of Jesus with John the Baptist and the call of
disciples whom Jesus had earlier met in that association with John the
Baptist might theoretically serve the interest of harmonizing the
contrasting data of John's gospel and the Synoptics, but it will not
wash, because it distorts the function of the PARADOQHNAI phrase in
Mark's gospel.

Let me make myself clear at this point that I am not at all concerned
here with the historical question of whether Jesus did or did not meet
the first disciples in the context of the Baptist's circle--I really
suspect that is probably true--rather, I am asking whether Greg's
assertion that "The Synoptics tend to indicate Jesus  was a follower of
John the Baptist, and that he met many of his disciples  first through
his associations with him," is really an accurate representation of the
picture painted in the Synoptics. I think that there is really a sharp
divergence between the Synoptic and the Johannine representation of these
matters. If I am mistaken on this, I'd like to see an alternative
demonstrated.

(314) 935-4018